Matters related to child custody are often the most delicate. Both you and your spouse love your children and want the best for them, but you also want to make sure you are able to spend as much quality time with them as you can. To ensure you are able to achieve an arrangement you are seeking for your family, it is important that you thoroughly prepare for your child custody case.
We compiled a list of tips that can help you win your child custody case. Continue reading to learn what you can do and how you can prepare:
- Consult with your attorney: Your child custody attorney is your best asset and can help you strategize to ensure you are able to get through this as smoothly as possible. Ask him or her for advice on what you should do to improve your chances of obtaining the custody or visitation rights you are seeking. The whole point of having an attorney is to work with an expert, so consult with your attorney and figure out what the best course of action is for you.
- Consider settling out of court: In many cases, spouses are able to hash out an agreement with the help of their attorneys and an unbiased mediator. Your attorney might suggest this option to keep you out of court. In fact, many spouses are able to divorce without ever having to go through litigation. Not only does it save you time and money, but it helps you work on your relationship as co-parents.
- Be aware of your behavior: When in the midst of a custody dispute it is of the utmost importance that you are aware of your behavior keep your temper in check. This is not always easy for spouses who have a lot of unresolved anger and resentment, but it is imperative that you are on your best behavior. Do not send angry texts and emails to your spouse and absolutely do not argue with him or her in front of your children.
- Never alienate your children from your ex: Your marriage might be over, but your former spouse will always be a parent to your children, so never alienate them from one another. Not only is this harmful to your kids, but it will do you no favors in court. It will only harm your chances of obtaining custody.
- Remain engaged in your kids’ lives: Regardless of what is going on in your life, it is crucial to show that you are able to remain engaged with your children and attend all of their important events, whether they are related to their academic life or health. It helps your case in court and strengthens your bond with them, making it a win-win.
Compassionate Child Custody Attorneys in Bergen County
At Sherwood, Johnson & Poles in Bergen County, our compassionate family law attorneys are dedicated to helping clients navigate a vast array of sensitive matters, including child custody. If you are in the midst of a child custody dispute, you need a skilled attorney on your side to effectively guide you through it.
Get started on your child custody case today and contact our team at (888) 224-1218 to request a free initial case evaluation with one of our knowledgeable attorneys.